I am Stuck in a Snow Globe

.Today is my Dad’s favorite day of the year. Today is December twenty-first; the first day of winter. However, more to the point, it is the shortest day of the year as far as daylight hours. Every day after this gets longer by 30 seconds in the morning and evening. The farmer in my Dad has drilled it in me that we should make the most out of every speck of light from the day, and in the recent years has practically declared it a national holiday!

It is hard to believe that winter just started today, since the Pacific Northwest has been hit with severe winter weather. On the fourteenth we had two to three inches of snow, and basically the weather stayed frigid for seven days straight. My personal assistants have been coming and going cautiously! Two of my personal assistants have been relying on taxis to get here, and two were fortunate to have their significant others drive them.

I have not ventured from my home since the eleventh! Do I have cabin fever? That would be an affirmative, yeeees! I feel like I’m in a snow globe! With the snow slowly falling, and the streetlights glinting on the snow making it look sparkling. Do you see me with my fists pounding on the glass dome mouthing, “Let me out! Let me out!”

The weather forecasters predicted that Friday and Saturday would be good days to get out. On Thursday, I had my personal assistant call the Lift to order a ride for me on Friday afternoon. Before even talking to a person, a recorded message told us that only life sustaining medical rides were being granted. I allowed myself to moan and whine for thirty seconds, and then I promised myself I would for sure go out on Saturday, I could wait until Saturday! It was suppose to be the better day to get out and about anyway. When we ordered the ride for Saturday, the ride was accepted. However, I was warned that the ride could be cancelled due to the weather. Still I was highly encouraged that they did not decline the ride right off the bat! Since the weather forecasters predicted another storm front hitting around 5PM, I decided I would just go to the mall for three hours so I could be home before the storm started.

Saturday dawned. It was already snowing at 8AM, with no sign of it stopping. You know, normally when it snows around here, I am afraid to leave my perch by the window because when I returned it was certain that the snow would have stopped. I have never in my life seen constant snow like this! This snow was the little flake variety; the kind that sticks. We usually see big sloppy flake snow; the kind that sticks for a few hours, and then melts away! My ride out of here was set for 10:30. At 9:20 when my personal assistant was an hour and 20 minutes late getting here, I cancelled my ride. If I hadn’t ’one it, I figured Lift surely would have!

My sister tried several times to put chains on her tires. Each time she came back in dirty, sopping wet, cold, and frustrated! She didn’t much appreciate it when I told her that a guy on TV could put chains on a wheel in less then two minutes. (There is an odd thing you should know about me. Whenever I tease people I love, or feel really comfortable with, my voice quite often becomes crystal clear. And, that bit I told Carol about the quick chain putter-oner was crystal clear! I can remember sitting at the dinner table, and great zingers would float from my lips. Dad understood what I said, but he would ask me to repeat what I had said. Try as I might, I could never repeat the words even remotely with the same caliber of clarity as the first.) Shortly after that Carol’s family called to say they were going out to get a Christmas tree. Since they were going out anyway, she had her husband come to help to put the chains on. He had the chains on within five minutes. Carol came back in shaking her head in mixed awe and frustration that Kevin made it look so easy!

By this time it was around 11:30, and my personal assistant still had not made it here. She kept updating us on her progress. First Sara tried driving her pickup, but the back end kept fishtailing. Somehow she made it back home. Next Sara tried getting a cab. About two and an half hours later it shows up. The driver didn’t ’peak English, or at least pretended not to, and refused to take her up the hill. Her next option was to take the city bus. After waiting an hour and then some, someone walked by Sara and told her that the buses were not going up the hill. Carol decided that she would be brave with the chains on to go get Sara.

At two, six hours late, Sara finally made it here, and Sara barely lives over a mile from me. Carol and Sara made a deal that Sara would stay the night, so that neither woman had to worry about going out again at 10PM. By the time Sara got here, she felt sick with a cold. I didn’t want to get her bug, so I had her do the very minimum, but yet the crucial things for me. For an example, I forego getting in my recliner, because that would have required her to help me to do a transfer and she would have to get too close to me. However, I had her fix my dinner. I was starving; I needed to eat! I couldn’t send her home, because nobody was going to come relieve her in this freakish weather.

My deck is covered with about eight inches of snow.  The table and chair I have on the deck has a snow domes on them.  I wish I had a camera to capture this sight for you!  Oh, my goodness! I am sitting in my kitchen, by the sliding glass door. There is this scrawny pine tree about four feet from my deck, and about three feet from a storage unit/garage. The tree was already leaning at an 11:55 angle before the snow settled on it. The top of the tree was bowed down and resting on the garage roof from the weight of the snow. Just a minute ago, I heard a loud crack, I turned my head, and saw debris falling to the ground. The whole top of the tree snapped off! The roof and the deck still intact, thank goodness!

Right now it feels I’m going to be trapped in my apartment forever! Except! Except, today is the shortest day of the year. Seven days from now, the day will have seven more minutes of daylight. In just four weeks time, twenty-eight more minutes of daylight will be gained. I can hold on until whatever day I can exit my cave, because I know the worst of the storm is already in the past, or so that is what I am hoping! .


I am not entirely sure how many seconds of light is added to the days. I have heard some conflicting information. I am sure it is different amounts of time depending on what parallel on earth you call home. My Dad is claiming it’s a minute and an half at either end of the day, but he’s 82, and has some dementia. Perhaps a reader will set me straight! Whatever it is, all that matters to me is that the daylight hours are increasingly getting longer!

Posted at 1:56 PM by useuraac@yahoo.com


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: